Monday, September 19, 2011

Good riddance, Eureka, now time for more ghosts and rasslin'!

Apparently, Eureka is being canceled. Of all the shows in SyFy's highly questionable lineup, Eureka and Alphas (whoops, I called it out, now it'll get the axe too) are the only two science fiction shows amid its original offerings (Enterprise reruns don't count). Everything else is fantasy (Warehouse 13 and Haven), some kind of quasi-fantasy science-ish thing (Sanctuary) and of course, the kajillion reality shows (do we really need a Ghost Hunters AND a Ghost Hunters International?). AND DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE SYFY ORIGINAL MOVIES. It is my theory that their movie development staff is broken up into the "A Team" (Tin Man, The Lost Room) and the "B Squad" (Boa vs. Python vs. Aardvark).

Now, I like the fantasy stuff and I even watch one or two of the reality shows, but you would think that a channel called "SyFy" with so little "Sci-fi" would hold onto whatever it had. Forgive me if I have a little trouble "imagining greater" when they kick all their best stuff to the curb. Actually, all I can do is imagine how the channel could be greater. As I said, I'm no sci-fi snob; I would accept any kind of fantastical scripted entertainment (definitely looking forward to Neverland from my beloved "A Team"), as long as it was well-done (i.e. not Black Scorpion--although even that was preferable to WWE) and could actually stay on for a decent amount of time. I can picture an "In Memoriam" montage similar to the one the Oscars does, except for dead Sci-Fi Channel shows instead of deceased movie people. A moment of silence, if you will...

The Invisible Man






The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne






Lexx







Farscape (This would be like the actor that gets the loudest cheer during the montage)





Why, dang it, why? Rifftrax just doesn't fill the void.

I know this one doesn't actually count as having been created by the Sci-Fi Channel, but like Sliders, it was picked up and they made new episodes. Either way...WHY????


I didn't forget about First Wave...I just found it kind of boring. That having been said, I would take it. I would take a re-boot of a show that bored me to tears over Monster Finders Transcontinental or whatever abomination they're planning to replace Eureka with.

Sure, SyFy...by all means, cancel one of your best shows. I'm getting
Carnivale flashbacks (but I'll gripe about that injustice in another post).


No comments: