Thursday, March 29, 2012

Being Human and Lost Girl Review

I know it's a couple of days late, but I invoke the "It's good until the next episode airs" rule.

How do I begin to break down Monday's Being Human? I think we all learned that even eight hundred years on the Earth isn't long enough for some people to learn that "Hey, we banged the same guy" is not appropriate double-date conversation. I thought werewolves could sense each other, like immortals in Highlander. Vampires can sniff them out but they can't smell each other? Or maybe those are just the British rules. Didn't the purebreds say they could tell that Josh was a wolf? Just...just check the perimeter before you make out, is all I'm saying. It's like the Whedonverse: kissing always hurts someone.

I don't like Mother. She's a big meanie, even among people who drink human blood. However, I agree with her trying to separate Aidan and Suren--albeit for a different reason than she probably had. We all know Suren is bad news bears for Aidan, but it'll be fun to watch this train wreck of a relationship progress through the next episodes.

So, if you kill your maker, you aren't a werewolf anymore. Writers kickin' it old school, I see. Of course, we know that they just can't leave it with Josh refusing to kill Ray and Nora doing likewise. How this new wrinkle will manifest itself later remains to be seen. I see lots of plot loophole potential for that. Maybe Brynn will turn someone and they can reverse it by killing her. Side note: is anyone else a bit anxious as to what Nora meant when she said she got "full" of violence hanging with Brynn?

And now for Saturday's Being Human. Yeah, that's right: I work both sides of the pond and I'm not ashamed of it! My only note on that would be...um...yeah. Succubi. We now have succubi in the mix (and if you paid attention to how a succubus comes into the world, we also have demons). An interesting addition, and I'm not exactly against it, but the three-thing formula gave it a nice, tight little structure, and you could explore the crap out of the inner workings of those three things. As much as I like "everything exists" shows like True Blood, I don't think I want Being Human to become one. Perhaps they toy with the form every once in a while, like in the zombie episode. It was like, "Yep, if the conditions are right, you can be a zombie. How about that?" and they never spoke of it again. Maybe it's a not-so-running gag that occasionally a fourth kind of thing will blow through and then be on it's merry way at the end of the episode. However, there is something tantalizing about the prospect of Hal the Old One knowing a lot more about the supernatural world than Annie or Tom, and using him to reveal new things to his roommates and us.

And speaking of succubi, on to Lost Girl (once-in-a-lifetime segue opportunity).

I started watching this show way after I started recording it, so I had a nice little DVR Lost Girl marathon and now it's on my permanent lineup. Anyway, I think I'll just hit the story arc points that stood out the most in Monday's episode:

Trick and the Ash going at it...yipe! So far (on the US side of things, as we are very late to this party), neither the Ash nor Trick has shown his particular Fae power, and I thought their little confrontation would involve some magical posturing. I suppose in the Fae world, age begets restraint, as the Morrigan also refrained from throwing her magical weight around (I don't know if her Fae power involves wearing the
crap out of a red dress, but GOOD GRAVY!). When you're a big mucky-muck you can have grunts do all the zapping and hypnotizing and what-have-you.

Bo: Hey, can I use that awesome weapon that I used on Vex last time?
Trick: Oh, that one. Yeah, the writers don't want to seem repetitive--er, I mean, it got confiscated.
Real cute, guys. I know, it's Story 101: Superman can only throw the "S" on his suit once, then he has to come up with something else to do. It's just really hard to hide the obviousness of that move.

Lauren and Bo being super awkward with each other, and of course Bo can't trust Lauren anymore, but just wait until she finds out what Dyson knows about her past! Crap will hit the fan--of course, since this is Dyson we're talking about, it'll be one of those bladeless fans and the crap will fly right through it. I'm guessing once she finds out about Trick and Dyson keeping things from her, she'll be seduced by the Dark Side and hang out with the Morrigan and her crew for a bit. Just a guess; the Canadian fans getting to the end of season two can correct me if I'm wrong. Bo is very much a good guy, and even though she hasn't picked a side, she seems (at the moment) very Light-leaning. It would be interesting to play up the "lost girl" angle and have her hobnob with the Dark more.

Kenzi is super cute. Not really a plot point; just thought it bore mentioning.

Stay tuned for Thursday (maybe) and Friday (definitely) reviews.


1 comment:

LKP said...

Hey, I'm from the Pacific Northwest (the dry desert side of it, not the lush green most people assume) and I found you via a Google search that led to a post you wrote in 2007 on Helium http://www.helium.com/items/546877-Characters-Personalities. I'm not a Helium member, so I've tried to track you down somewhere I can comment. This seemed to be the best option. (I love your essay/article style BTW.)

The reason for the search is over a slight, but instant reaction today in our community to one of my daughter's campaign posters for her HS ASB. It was approved by her HS principal, and she hung it up. However, unexpectedly many others in the school (and a couple on Facebook & Instagram) kinda freaked out at the nerve we apparently have. I was interested to know what your opinion is, as we duplicated the General Lee's Union Jack of Dukes of Hazzard for one of her posters which reads "Daisy Duke for ASB Secretary" in large letters in front of it.

We didn't feel it was racist whatsoever as we were simply playing off her lifelong nickname(as her first name IS Daisy, thus the nickname is fitting). Personally, I was shocked that several people would instantly take offense, rather than see the innocent correlation between her nickname & the show. Plus people who know my daughter (which is the entire school & staff since there are MAYBE 300 kids in the entire HS - yes we are a tiny little country school) know she hasn't got a racist bone in her body. Hence I was hoping to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.